- Information we may collect
- How we use your personal information
- Information collected and used when you visit our Sites and Apps
- Your Choices
- Interest Based Advertising
- Security and Disclosure
- Access to Personal Information
- Contacting The Globe Regarding Your Privacy
1. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
The Health Insider collects personal information from you in several ways. For example, we collect information that you provide to us, through your use of the Services, as well as information collected from publicly available sources or third parties.
INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE
When you subscribe, register or otherwise interact with our Services, you may be asked to provide certain personal information.
For example, when you register or inquire about our Services, you will be asked for your contact information. For paid Services, we will require payment information such as your credit card information. For services that have age restrictions, such as age-restricted content or events where applicable, your date of birth may be required to access those services. You may choose to provide supplementary information about yourself when you register for our Services, such as your birth date, gender, health interests, and other demographic information. We collect personal information that you provide when you enter a contest, participate in a promotion, or use any tools that may be provided on our website.
INFORMATION COLLECTED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES
INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT FROM PUBLICLY AVAILABLE SOURCES OR THIRD PARTIES
The Health Insider may receive personal information about you from third party sources, as permitted by law, such as marketing and data analytics databases.
When you register for our Services using a third party platform (e.g. using your Google, Facebook or LinkedIn account), the third party platform may provide us with your social media identifier or handle and any additional information you authorize that third party platform to share, such as your email address or contact information. If you would like The Health Insider to delete all or some of the Personal Information that you provide us to when you access our Services through a third party platform, please email email@example.com or call Customer Service at (PHONE #). Please note, The Health Insider may retain any Personal Information needed to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or to continue to provide Services to you.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use Personal Information only for the reasons it was collected, unless an individual gives consent to use or disclose it for another reason. The Health Insider will keep Personal Information only as long as necessary for the identified purposes.
Your Personal Information may be processed and/or stored outside of Canada. While we undertake measures to protect your Personal Information, when it is stored and/or processed in other jurisdictions, the laws of other countries may not provide the degree of protection for Personal Information that is available in Canada. If your Personal Information is transferred outside of Canada, it may be available to the foreign government of the country in which the information or entity controlling it is situated under a lawful order made in that country and used for purposes other than those described herein. By providing us with your information, you are allowing your Personal Information to be transferred outside of Canada.
The Health Insider uses your personal information to offer and provide you Services as well as for various other business purposes. This includes:
- to fulfill your request for Services and process payment for Services
- to make improvements to our Services and to develop new Services
- to provide you with personalized content and advertising on and off our Services
- to offer you promotions, offers and discounts on our Services
- to administer your participation in a contest, survey, promotion, or event
- to communicate with you
- to maintain and improve the security of our sites and to detect and prevent fraud
- to enforce our agreements
- to facilitate the general management and administration of our business, including to meet our regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements
For information on how to withdraw your consent or change your personal information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Customer Service at (PHONE #).
We may serve you and others with similar interests and preferences targeted ads about our Services on third-party platforms or their related apps (such as social networking and other sites). To offer these ads we may provide a hashed version of your email address or other information to third-party platforms for such purposes. If you no longer wish to see these ads, you may be able to opt out using the instructions set out on the platform. To opt-out of our use of your information for such purposes, please contact us at email@example.com.
3. INFORMATION COLLECTED AND USED WHEN YOU VISIT OUR SITES AND APPS
Advertising: We collect and use automated information to offer relevant advertising on our site and across the Internet on behalf of ourselves and advertisers. Some of this advertising is based solely on your activity on our site. Some advertising is based on your activity on our site, as well as your activity across different sites on the Internet known as interest-based advertising (sometimes also referred to as personalized or online behavioural advertising). Please see “Interest-Based Advertising” for information on how to opt out of interest based advertising.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES:
For more information on how to disable cookies, see “Your Choices”.
4. YOUR CHOICES
The Health Insider does not require that you provide The Health Insider with Personal Information. The decision to provide Personal Information is voluntary. If you do not wish to provide the Personal Information requested, however, you may not be able to proceed with the activity or receive the benefit for which the Personal Information is being requested.
What you can do if you wish to withdraw your consent or change your personal information:
- Email.To unsubscribe from email communications from The Health Insider please click the unsubscribe link or other method indicated in the footer of the communication. Your opt-out applies to the type of communication that you unsubscribe from, and you may continue to receive emails from other Services of The Health Insider you’ve subscribed to.
- Third Party Platform Sign-In Integration. Information you provide to The Health Insider through third-party platform integration features, such as Facebook Connect, Twitter, or LinkedIn are governed by the terms of that particular service. You can disconnect your login integration from third-party accounts at any time within the settings of the third-party platform.
- Interest Based Advertising. To opt-out of interest-based advertising, see “Opting-Out of Interest Based Advertising”.
- Cookies. To limit the collection of your information by disabling cookies, most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but offer a number of ways to control cookie preferences. Typically, users can: disable all cookies (not recommended), require approval each time a site attempts to place a cookie, remove cookies manually or have them deleted automatically after a certain period. For step-by-step instructions on how to modify cookie preferences, please consult your browser’s support documentation. You can find instructions for commonly used browsers here:
- The Health Insider does not require you to accept cookies but disabling cookies on your browser may reduce the functionality of some Services.
5. INTEREST BASED ADVERTISING
The Health Insider may deliver tailored advertising on and off our Services based on your activity across different sites on the Internet and apps known as interest-based advertising (also referred to as personalized or online behavioural advertising).To learn more on how to opt out of interest based advertising see “Opting-Out of Interest-Based Advertising”
OPTING-OUT OF INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
The Health Insider adheres to the principles of the Digital Advertising Alliance Canada’s (DAAC) AdChoices program. The DAAC’s AdChoices initiative allows you to opt-out of the use of information for interest-based advertising. For more information on this program, see https://youradchoices.ca/
Web and Mobile Browser: At any time you can opt-out of receiving interest-based ads on your desktop or mobile browser by clicking here.
You may also see the AdChoices icon in or around advertisements on a website of The Health Insider. These advertisements are tailored for you through interest based advertising. You can opt out of targeted advertising from that advertiser by clicking the “AdChoices” logo within the ad. Mobile App: You can opt out of any interest-based advertising on your mobile app through your mobile device settings, which vary by device. More information on how to do this can be found here: https://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choices. DAAC also provides a tool called AppChoices to help you opt-out that can be downloaded here: https://youradchoices.ca/en/tools/
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT YOUR OPT-OUTS:
- If you opt-out of interest-based advertising by us or a third party, these tracking technologies may still collect data for other purposes including analytics and you will still see ads from us across the Internet, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioural information and may therefore be less relevant to you and your interests.
- On web browsers, interest-based advertising opt-outs work by saving cookies in your browser that tells the various ad partners that you have opted-out. For mobile devices, interest-based advertising opt-outs work by sending an opt out signal that tell the various ad partners that you have opted-out on a particular device. You must opt out separately on each of your browsers and mobile devices from which you do not want to receive interest-based advertising to ensure that information collected on a particular browser or device is not used on another browser or device.
- If you delete or clear your browser’s cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
For more information about interest-based advertising on your desktop, mobile browser or apps please visit the DAAC website: youradchoices.ca.
6. SECURITY AND DISCLOSURE
THE HEALTH INSIDER TAKES STEPS TO HOLD YOUR INFORMATION SECURELY
The Health Insider has put in place reasonable physical, electronic, contractual and managerial measures designed to protect the information we collect from loss, theft, and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
The Health Insider may disclose your personal information to third parties if you have violated our terms of service or conditions of purchase, to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental or regulatory requests, for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or to detect, suppress or prevent fraud or as otherwise may be required or permitted by applicable Canadian, law or legal process.
7. ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to access, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to limited exceptions under applicable law. You can make this request by emailing or writing to us at the contact information below. We may require personal information from you to verify your identity to process your request.
8. CONTACTING THE HEALTH INSIDER REGARDING YOUR PRIVACY
The Health Insider Privacy Officer
111 St. Regis Crescent S.,